Keep our news free from ads and paywalls by making a donation to support our work!
Notes from Poland is run by a small editorial team and is published by an independent, non-profit foundation that is funded through donations from our readers. We cannot do what we do without your support.
Poland has banned Chinese-made vehicles from entering all military bases, citing security threats relating to the gathering of sensitive data. It has also barred military personnel from connecting their work phones to the systems of such cars.
Last month, it emerged that Chinese cars had been prohibited from entering certain military bases in Poland. Now, a blanket ban has been announced by the general staff of the Polish armed forces.
Spokesman Marek Pietrzak said that the decision was made following a “risk analysis related to the growing integration of digital systems in vehicles and the potential possibility of uncontrolled acquisition and use of data by these systems”.
The measures would “strengthen the protection of military infrastructure and mitigate potential security threats”, he added.
Szef @SztabGenWP podjął decyzję o wprowadzeniu zakazu wjazdu pojazdów wyprodukowanych w ChRL na tereny chronionych obiektów wojskowych. Problem w tym, że nie tylko chińskie samochody są wyposażone w cyfrowe systemy i rejestrują różnego typu dane.https://t.co/sDTIre49Gv
— Defence24 (@Defence24pl) February 19, 2026
Pietrzak revealed that “a ban has also been introduced on connecting work phones to infotainment systems in motor vehicles manufactured in China” in order “to reduce the risk of access to sensitive data”.
The general staff also announced that even private non-Chinese vehicles with “devices capable of recording position, image, or sound” would only be allowed into military facilities if such functions are disabled.
“The measures introduced are consistent with practices used by NATO countries and other allies to ensure the highest standards of defence infrastructure protection,” concluded the statement. “They are part of a broader process of adapting security procedures to the changing technological environment.”
When it was reported last month that some military bases had banned Chinese cars, the defence ministry revealed that it was working on even broader measures that would apply to all facilities.
China’s foreign ministry at the time said that it had “taken note” of the issue and warned that “the abuse of the concept of national security must be stopped”. There has so far been no official response from Beijing to the new blanket ban on Chinese-made cars.
Sales of Chinese cars in Poland rose rapidly in 2025. In December, 9,821 were registered in the country, over four times more than in the same period a year earlier, according to data cited by broadcaster RMF. Over 2025 as a whole, Chinese brands accounted for 14.5% of all newly registered passenger cars.
Chinese cars have been banned from entering certain military bases in Poland over security concerns. One report has also suggested that a Tesla was turned away.
In response, China has called on Poland not to “abuse the concept of national security” https://t.co/U2fKYvBH9s
— Notes from Poland 🇵🇱 (@notesfrompoland) January 20, 2026

Notes from Poland is run by a small editorial team and published by an independent, non-profit foundation that is funded through donations from our readers. We cannot do what we do without your support.
Main image credit: MON (under CC BY-SA 4.0)

Daniel Tilles is editor-in-chief of Notes from Poland. He has written on Polish affairs for a wide range of publications, including Foreign Policy, POLITICO Europe, EUobserver and Dziennik Gazeta Prawna.


















